Fall Foliage Getaway…Hidden Pond
According to New England Fall Foliage reports, we are only a few weeks away from prime peak foliage. If you are looking for a weekend getaway to check it all out — with or without kids — I’ve got a GREAT one for you. A fellow well-traveled friend
(who in my view has great taste) came back raving about a new place she visited last month — Hidden Pond in Kennebunkport, Maine.
On Conde Nast Traveler’s 2009 Hot List (not that it means anything — I personally think that list is fixed), this one year old, self-proclaimed “boutique resort” with “flip flop chic” aesthetic seems to have everything anyone would want in a weekend getaway (you won’t find any frilly knotty pine decor or chintz here):
- 14 spacious, individually-designed 2-bedroom cottages on the 60-acre resort. Each cottage comes with its own kitchen, frette linens, down duvets, flat screen TVs, i-pod
docking stations and, best …a morning bakery basket filled with hot coffee, home-baked muffins and a New York Times paper. The staff will even stock the pantry with groceries before you arrive, if you so desire.
My friend stayed in the “Stargazer” cottage – a 2-story, 2 bedroom “country meets modern” style cottage with it’s own screened in porch.
- Organic farm – Guests have free access to pick whatever is grown
- Tented spa
- “Ledges” – a gathering place to lounge, gather by the fireplace and have daily wine & cheese
- “Back Porch” bar and “Sandbar” outdoor lounge with nightly bonfires
- Fitness Center
- Walking Distance to Goose Rocks Beach for beach activities.
To see the latest praise on this place, check out Food & Wine magazine.
Cottages are still available through the end of October at reasonable $462 rates per night (that’s for an entire cottage, folks) so go on and check it out before the leaves have all turned brown…